Palak Moong (Spinach with Mung) and Awards!
I received awards! Thanks to Trupti and Devi Priya for the Nice Matters Award. Thanks to JZ for the good blog chat award. Sorry for the delay in mentioning it. As I have received these awards earlier, I added your names to my awards page. Thanks once again for thinking of me for the awards🙂
Palak Moong is another of the comforting and nutritious foods. Simple to make, no need of working near the gas stove for long🙂 and still a yummy and comforting dish ready in half an hour … This one goes well with rotis/chapattis as well as rice.
Update: I just realized this one too can be sent for Eat Healthy – Protein Rich as Moong dal as well as Palak (Spinach) are protein-rich and nutritious foods on the whole. So, this one too goes to the Eat Healthy – Protein Rich event.
Palak/Keerai (Spinach): 1 bundle or frozen 1 lb pack
Green chillies: 1 roughly chopped
Moong/Mung dal (Green gram skinned and split): ¾ cup
Red chilly powder: ¼ teaspoon
Asafoetida (hing): a pinch
Mustard seeds: 1 teaspoon
Turmeric: ¼ teaspoon
Oil: 1 teaspoon
Salt to taste
- Clean the spinach and wash well several times. Soak in water with a pinch of turmeric for at least 15 minutes – to kill germs. Then drain the leaves and chop them fine.
- Cook the moong dal in 2.5-3 cups of water in a pressure cooker for about 4-5 whistles or till mushy consistency.
- In the meanwhile, heat the oil a pan/vessel and add the mustard seeds and fry till they pop. Add the asafetida and sauté.
- Add two cups of water and bring to a boil. Include the turmeric powder in the water.
- When the water boils, add the spinach leaves and cook till mushy – will take about 10-15 minutes. You can roughly mash with the back of the ladle or a hand blender to a coarse consistency. I prefer to leave the spinach leaves as is without mashing.
- When the spinach is done, mash the cooked moong dal and mix in.
- Add salt, red chilly powder, and the chopped green chillies. Mix the ingredients well. Allow to boil and cook for 5-7 minutes more so that the flavors blend.
- Turn off the heat and serve with rice or rotis.